Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Losses

This is a follow-up to my last post.

My high school career is over, obviously.

With that... however, a few things have/are ending, and it's really quite sad.

Firstly, I am finished (as of now) with organized sports.  From as long as I can remember, I have played sports.  Basically that dates back to me being about four or five years old playing sports year round.  For the most part, I don't have any complaints, and I love all the people and coaches I have met through them.  Sports really have helped shape me into a better person.  Unless I decide to walk-on to UD's football team, I will be officially done with sports, excluding all the club teams and such I will play in college for fun.

What I'll especially miss is football.  Some of my best memories have come from football games, practices, and workouts.  People see the football team or games and think they're just another sport, and some people flat out don't like the football team, but I will bet my life on it that no other team, no other club, no other activity puts more effort and work into perfecting something than the football team.  I was at St. Mark's five days each week for two to three hours during the summer working to get better and have the best season I could possibly have.  That's in the blazing heat, working my butt off to get faster, stronger, quicker, bigger, etc.  I don't regret any of it.  I love the fact I managed to run in such heat for an extended period of time.  I don't think I'll ever do something as hard as that in my life, and nobody truly understands how difficult it is unless you've experienced it for yourself.  And this doesn't just stop after summer, in season, you are constantly working out, studying, perfecting your skill to become the best you can be even though the season is already here.  And what happens the week after football ends?  Boom, workouts for the next year start.  It's a never-ending cycle of preparing yourself for those Friday nights.  All this work with your teammates, however, builds some of the most closely knitted friendships I'll ever have.  You depend on each other to keep pushing through adversity, you depend on each other to motivate you to work harder, and you depend on each other to have your back off the field as well.  I will never forget my experience with football, and it is sad that the season is now long gone.

The second thing, I will keep it very brief, is a long-term relationship that I had.
Lasting a little over two year, it's safe to say it was my longest relationship.  I won't say much because that's personal and I don't want to put that online, but it is saddening to me that the relationship is over, but I am very glad it happened.  Hey, life goes on though.  We will still be attending prom together and hopefully have a great time!

It is also very sad that I will be leaving a school that I have come to accept as my second home.  I literally spend more time at St. Mark's than I do at home, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Dang, that was corny.

No comments:

Post a Comment