Monday, October 15, 2012

Recently, I have become obsessed with a certain YouTube channel, "BigThink."  The channel has over nine-thousand videos and (obviously) regularly puts out videos each day.  What is this channel?  A lot of things.

Various beyond-famous scientists, philosophers, and rational-thinkers are asked questions (questions usually sent in by viewers) and give, on average, three to four minute talks on the subject.  Physicist Neil Degrasse Tyson regularly appears on the "show."  He is bombarded with complicated questions about possibilities, theories, and space, yet manages to twist his words so that someone who has never taken a physics or math class can understand.  He is an inspiration to anybody that watches his videos.  Seriously, check him out.  Another one of my favorite regulars on the show is Michio Kaku.  Kaku is one of the smartest men in the world. Heck, when he was just in high school he built an atom smasher using four-hundred pounds of steel and twenty-two miles of copper wire.  For that project alone... BOOM. Scholarship to Harvard.  The thing about Kaku is that he is extremely talented with taken a presumed impossible idea, and telling how it is actually very possible.  Watching him inspires me because I realize if I pursue a career as a engineer or something of the sort, I could be the one making a discover or creating something that was once deemed impossible.  The possibilities he discusses seem endless, and that bewilders me in ways I cannot describe.

The videos are just so informative and packed with so much information.  I mean, I feel pretty cool when my physics teachers are giving lectures on a topic I know everything about.  I feel ahead of the game.



Many, well all, of my friends know me to be a YouTube addict.  My response to that label is that it's true.  I have spent countless hours on YouTube.  I do my homework to videos, I eat to videos, and when I am bored, I go on YouTube (don't worry, I do other things too haha!).  The difference between myself and the others, is that, although I do enjoy watching the funny and mindless comedy, I spend most of my time watching documentaries and informative content.  Big names such as "Vice" or "National Geographic" have found their way onto YouTube and post thirty minute, forty minute, or even hour long documentaries that are can also seen on TV.  I love picking and choosing what interests me, and when I'm finished with a particular video, there are ten more just a glance away (the related videos list on the side).

I do not just concentrate on certain topics; I watch a variety of videos.  I love learning about different places throughout the word.  Places I wish I could visit, and places that are a little to extreme for me (but are still cool!).  Culture appeals greatly to me, and the fact that there is so much of it within just a computer screen boggles my mind.

One last note: My friends tease me because nearly every time a teacher shows a video in class, I have already seen it.  In my head, I just laugh because they just have not realized the information and potential for learning on a site that they think's purpose is solely comedy, when in fact, just plain isn't.  I do not just spend time watching the funny videos that everyone knows and loves, I spend a lot of my time finding information on topics that may not be useful in school or interesting to others, but interests me and connects me to the surrounding world.

1 comment:

  1. I love Big Think (we all know I am an internet addict) watch TED talks too.

    ReplyDelete