Saturday, March 16, 2013

"Constantly Risking Absurdity"

The next poem I wrote about is called "Constantly Risking Absurdity," by the same poet, Lawrence Ferlinghetti.

This poem was very interesting because of the extended metaphor between an acrobat and a poet.  I found this to be very creative and very well executed.  If I was told what this poem was about before I had read it, I most likely would have laughed at whoever told me so.

The poem simply compares the tough, stressful, and risky life of an acrobat to that of a poet, and successfully proves, at least, it did to me, that being a poet is really not all fun and games.  Poetry is a risky business to go into, or at least it seems like it after spending time with this poem.

Photo of acrobats.

And you know...

This can be said about life in general.  Nothing we do is done without risk.  Each step we take, each decision we consciously or unconsciously make, each action we perform has a cause and effect.  Many things we do in life are heavily speculated, similar to how the lives of an acrobat and poet are as well.

Many people do not understand the severity of their actions, but I, for one, am always constantly reminding and contemplating my actions.  If I do, however, fail to achieve the outcome I wanted, I learn from my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment