Monday, December 17, 2012

The Much-More-Than-A Piano Lesson

While Ms. Healey was away on her trip to Vegas for "an english-teacher's conference," our class sat and watched a play (in movie form) called The Piano Lesson as our days to Thanksgiving break withered down...

My opinion?

Well, I'm not sure about how others felt about the film, but I have to say I genuinely enjoyed watching the on-going sibling struggle (trust me... the same type of incidents happen in my own home, although we don't pull guns on each other).  I liked the theme of the American Dream battling it out with keeping family hertiage sacred.  I thought the actors did a wonderful job, although I found it quite humorous watching Boy Willy and how he said certain words ("Beeeeernise, I goooot to get ma hands on dat pianooo"), but that's how people talked back then... I guess.  I had to say that the ghost was a bit confusing, considering there really was no ghost to be seen.  Oh well, I imagined it being there.

I really enjoyed to plot to be honest.  Boy Willy, in all honesty, was being a huge jerk.  He just couldn't let the piano out of his hands, could he?  Now, maybe if he had talked it out with Bernise he would've had a better compromise, but the way he handled the situation really didn't help his case.  I feel that if I were Bernise, I probably would've let him have the piano.  She barely used the thing, and it would make her brother's dreams come true.  What's an inanimate object compare to actual memories?  Well, I guess a lot, now that I think about it.  The least she could do is consider selling piano, though.  Perhaps she was so closed-minded because she had negative past-experiences with her brother and her dead husband (the shooting incident).  I guess I understand her situation a little better now that I'm looking at it through her eyes, even if her husband's really wasn't Boy Willy's fault.  I'm going to take the easy way out and say that I'm nuetral on this matter, haha!

The movie (of a play) was solid: the characters had great personalities, the music playing in the background brought a great emotional connection to the play, and the conflicts were entertaining and engaging.  I found that the play managed to draw me in and feel how Bernise and Boy Willy felt.  I'll admit, I think that I actually felt bad for Boy Willy not being able to reach his dream, although it pains me to feel sorry for such a jerk-wad.

One of my favorite scenes, strangley enough, was when all the boys were sitting around the table, and slowly each and every one of 'em began making a beat and singing a song.  Although the song was a bit repetitive, I kinda enjoyed watching this interaction and seeing them have a good time together.  It showed the more "fun" and down-to-Earth sides of the male characters.  It gave them a stronger personality, which, in turn, leads to greater character development.

Overall, I'll say I had a good experience watching the movie, mainly because the characters were just so well developed.  It made it very easy for me to feel their emotionals and sort of picture myself witnessing these events in person.

I'm glad I had a chance to view this play, and hopefully Bernise and Boy Willy leave there past behind for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment