Friday, October 19, 2012

Heard of the Movie "Sinister" that just recently came out?  Well, I went to go see it.  A few disappointments here or there, but solid.  I'll break it down for you:

***SOME NOT TOO IMPORTANT SPOILERS*** 

Basically, a non-fiction murder-mystery writer moves into the home of a recent family in which the entire family, excluding the youngest child (who is nowhere to be found), is murdered.  This sets off the red flag for me immediately.  The youngest child is missing?  Clearly, she plays a greater role in the plot of the story.  The father does not reveal to his family that they are living in the house of the murder victims.  Late one night, he climbs into the attic to find an old-time movie projector and some tapes labeled with very... ironic, cheesy, and bone-chilling (yes, all at the same time) names.  One by one, the murder mystery writer sits down and watches the films.  Each film reveals the death of another family in some gruesome way.  There was one in particular murder that was absolutely disturbing beyond belief, and yes, I shielded my eyes for it.  If you see it, I think you'll know what I mean.

Throughout the movie, the writer notices clues here and there, but the more clues he finds, the closer death approaches him.  I'll stop giving details of the plot there, and let you witness it for yourself.

My Opinion

I found the first hour of the plot to be extremely well thought out.  I like that in a movie.  However, there were the jump-scares that we all know and "love."  (Honestly, jump scares are a cheap way to scare the audience that require almost no thought or creativity, I have no respect for a jump scare ninety-nine percent of the time.  The good kind of scare is a well-thought out plot that haunts you for the rest of the night, gives you sleep trouble, makes you afraid of your own home, etc.  Anyways...) The first hour was creepy, heart-pounding, and just in general freaked the entire audience out.  I'll admit, most of the audience was pretty scared at times.  You could hear profanities screeched out whenever you'd see a certain someone appear.  The atmosphere the movie created was great, and the audience really was involved.  I felt as if I was trying to figure out the mystery myself, and I liked that.  I respect that approach.  Except... After about twenty to thirty minutes I had pretty much guessed what was going to happen, and for the most part, I was right.  Either way, I enjoyed the film up until the climax.  The climax was pretty scary, but from there, it all just went downhill.  The ending, to me, was too quick and too forced.  There was not enough struggle or resistance (if you see it you will know what I mean) and there just was a feeling of: "Oh... that's it?  It's over?"  The suspense kept building and building, but the ending disappointed me.  It just wasn't what I thought it would be.

I must admit that I was generally nervous and on-edge for a lot of the film.  I love when a scary movie has serial-killer type antagonists, but this villain was no serial-killer.  He was much more.  If you have not seen the movie, I definitely recommend seeing it if you are a fan of suspense and mystery.  I thought parts were a little too predictable, others not, but all-in-all, I did not regret spending my Tuesday night watching this movie.  And yes, incase you were wondering, I slept fine.  Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment